Upstream max_fails, fail_timeout and proxy_read_timeout

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Fri Nov 16 17:11:47 UTC 2012

Hello!

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 11:42:54AM -0500, pliljenberg wrote:

> The requests before (for more than 30sec) to the server X are ok, this is
> the diet request generating a 500 response (from the timeout).
> Son up til this point all looks good - which is why I don't understand why
> nginx considers the server inactive after the first fail :)

500 response?

Normally timeouts results in 504, and if you see 500 this might
indicate that in fact request failed not due to a timeout, but
e.g. due too loop detected.  This in turn might mean that there
were more than one request to the server X which failed.

Try looking into error_log to see what's going on.

http://nginx.com/support.html