Primary script unknown error - can't figure out how to fix

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Tue Jan 8 20:09:49 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 08:08:33PM +0100, Patrick Lists wrote:

Hi there,

> I'm seeing some "Primary script unknown" errors

That message from the fastcgi server usually means that the
SCRIPT_FILENAME that it was given was not found as a file on its
filesystem.

Your filesystem has:

> # ls -l /usr/share/nginx
> drwxr-xr-x. 12 root root 4096 Jan  8 18:47 piwik
>
> # ls -l /usr/share/nginx/piwik
<snip>
> -rw-r-----.  1 nginx nginx  1611 Mar 20  2012 index.php

But your nginx config file has:

>     root /usr/share/nginx/piwik.domain.com;

>     location = /index.php {
<snip>
>         fastcgi_param   SCRIPT_FILENAME
> $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
<snip>
>     }

so SCRIPT_FILENAME will be /usr/share/nginx/piwik.domain.com/index.php

Which does not exist, and so is not found.

> Any advice or pointers to docs where I can find a solution are most
> appreciated.

Set "root" correctly in the nginx config. (Which is more or less the
same as "set the directory name correctly in the filesystem".)

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org