Nginx upstream servers status

Sandeep L sandeepvreddy at outlook.com
Wed Jul 3 04:55:35 UTC 2013

        Hi,

I am trying to configure nginx with upstream.

We have 3 machines where we run application server and proxy passing all requests from nginx to application serves.

I used following configuration in nginx:

upstream appcluster {

  server host1.example.com:8080 max_fails=2 fail_timeout=300s;

  server host2.example.com:8080 max_fails=2 fail_timeout=300s;

}

Now issue is if the request comes to nginx when one server is down
due to unknown reasons its waiting for a long time getting response or
some times its getting connection timeout.

Is there any module in nginx to get upstream servers status and forward requests only working upstream server.

Can someone suggest me right configuration to get response from
appcluster without latency or connection time out whenever a server wont
respond.

Thanks,
Sandeep.