Why use haproxy now ?

Andrew Alexeev andrew at nginx.com
Thu Mar 28 12:16:42 UTC 2013

On Mar 28, 2013, at 3:57 PM, Lukas Tribus wrote:

>> Why would you doubt that? Of course, my machines may be bigger than the norm...
>
> Because nginx doesn't do tcp splicing. Is my assumption wrong; are you able to
> forward 20Gbps with nginx? Then yes, probably you have huge hardware, which isn't
> necessary with haproxy.

Just curious, are you referring to "splice-auto" or just "splice-response"?

I'd assume "splice-response" sort of disables response buffering and it might be useful indeed if you've got fast clients and fast servers. I wonder know what happens with slow clients/fast servers tho :)

Also, to the best of my understanding, both Linux kernel version and network card present a lot of specifics in regards to how splice is used.