Why use haproxy now ?

Heřbolt, Lukáš lukas.herbolt at etnetera.cz
Thu Mar 28 12:30:26 UTC 2013

> Also, to the best of my understanding, both Linux kernel version and
network card present a lot of specifics in regards to how
> splice is used.

Kernel, yes. The fist splice was implemented in 2.6.17 but it was buggy. So
it is not recommended to use it.
Reimplementation was done in 3.5 and since that version everything works
fine.
I'm not sure how much it depends on NIC. I assume it would'n be much
difference,
more importatnt is tcp offloading support.

On 28 March 2013 13:16, Andrew Alexeev <andrew at nginx.com> wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2013, at 3:57 PM, Lukas Tribus wrote:
>
> >> Why would you doubt that? Of course, my machines may be bigger than the
> norm...
> >
> > Because nginx doesn't do tcp splicing. Is my assumption wrong; are you
> able to
> > forward 20Gbps with nginx? Then yes, probably you have huge hardware,
> which isn't
> > necessary with haproxy.
>
> Just curious, are you referring to "splice-auto" or just "splice-response"?
>
> I'd assume "splice-response" sort of disables response buffering and it
> might be useful indeed if you've got fast clients and fast servers. I
> wonder know what happens with slow clients/fast servers tho :)
>
> Also, to the best of my understanding, both Linux kernel version and
> network card present a lot of specifics in regards to how splice is used.

Lukáš Heřbolt
Linux Administrator

ET NETERA | smart e-business
[a] Milady Horákové 108, 160 00 Praha 6
[t] +420 725 267 158 [i] www.etnetera.cz
~
[www.ifortuna.cz  | www.o2.cz    | www.datart.cz ]
[www.skodaplus.cz | www.nivea.cz | www.allianz.cz]

Created by ET NETERA | Powered by jNetPublish