your mail

Paul N. Pace paulnpace at gmail.com
Thu May 2 20:57:47 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 1:21 PM, Francis Daly <francis at daoine.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 01:05:29PM -0700, Paul N. Pace wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
>> Other than that, I tried to follow both guides to the letter. When I
>> go to http://lists.example.com I get redirected to
>> IE) and I get a 400 Bad Request Request Header Or Cookie Too Large.
>
> Different redirection per client is unexpected. I'm guessing that the
> browser cache wasn't cleared? It's frequently simplest to test using
> "curl" to see exactly what response is sent.

I did try clearing cache and cookies as well as opening the site on a
device that had never opened it (my BlackBerry) and received the same
error.

Curl just states "moved permanently" as per the changes put in the
sites-available file (see below).

>> Any ideas on where to start looking?
>
> Your nginx.conf almost certainly does a "proxy_pass" to the web server
> that actually runs mailman.
>
> I suggest you confirm that mailman is installed and working correctly
> on that web server -- if it isn't, nginx won't help.

How to do this other than viewing the mailman page?

> If the 400 error comes from nginx, there should be something in the logs
> to indicate the nature of the problem.

Strangely, the logs do not state any errors. This is the server block
I added to sites-available file (mostly) as per the nginx wiki. Was I
supposed to add this to the nginx.conf file?

server {
        listen [::]:80;
        server_name lists.example.com;
        root /usr/lib;
        access_log /var/www/example.com/logs/access.log;
        error_log /var/www/example.com/logs/error.log;

        location = / {
                rewrite ^ /mailman/listinfo permanent;
        }

        location / {