Add [nginx] to subject lines on this mailing list?

Jim Ohlstein jim at ohlste.in
Thu May 16 13:18:01 UTC 2013

On 05/16/13 08:10, Daniel Griscom wrote:
> List-Id isn't shown in my inbox listing, so that doesn't help me when
> I'm scanning my inbox. Even when I open the email I have to scan the
> headers to figure out just what the specific email is about.
>
> All (almost?) of my other mailing lists follow this convention, which
> makes sense since every email from the "nginx" mailing list has to do
> with nginx, but few people bother to put "nginx" in the subject lines of
> their posts. Without this there's an assumed context for the message
> that isn't clear from the message subject.

I think what Maxim was alluding to is that any decent email client will
sort messages for you based on headers if you set it do do so. This way
you don't need to scan your entire inbox for messages from a particular
list and the "assumed context" can be a somewhat safe assumption.

Since you mention the conventions followed in other mailing lists, and
you read this one, perhaps you should note that top posting is
discouraged on this list, and messages are answered inline by the
developers (as your original one was). Just a thought.

--
Jim Ohlstein