Add [nginx] to subject lines on this mailing list?

Daniel Griscom griscom at suitable.com
Thu May 16 15:07:28 UTC 2013

At 3:34 PM +0200 5/16/13, René Neumann wrote:
>Am 16.05.2013 15:18, schrieb Jim Ohlstein:
>>  I think what Maxim was alluding to is that any decent email client will
>>  sort messages for you based on headers if you set it do do so. This way
>>  you don't need to scan your entire inbox for messages from a particular
>>  list and the "assumed context" can be a somewhat safe assumption.
>
>As an alternative, use a mail-server which supports server-side sorting.
>For example using Sieve.

Sorry; I didn't think my suggestion would be all
that controversial. As a data point, I checked
through my email archive for Mailman-based
mailing list messages which had or didn't have a
[listName] subject prefix:

- 2288 messages with a [listName] subject prefix

- 20 messages without a [listName] subject
prefix, of which 15 were nginx postings

So, omitting the prefix is an unusual choice, but
if it's necessary then that's fine.

Thanks for responding,
Dan

Daniel T. Griscom             griscom at suitable.com
Suitable Systems              http://www.suitable.com/
1 Centre Street, Suite 204    (781) 665-0053
Wakefield, MA  01880-2400