Add [nginx] to subject lines on this mailing list?

Steve Wilson lists-nginx at swsystem.co.uk
Thu May 16 15:35:58 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-16 16:07, Daniel Griscom wrote:
> At 3:34 PM +0200 5/16/13, René Neumann wrote:
> Am 16.05.2013 15:18, schrieb Jim Ohlstein:
> I think what Maxim was alluding to is that any decent email client will
> sort messages for you based on headers if you set it do do so. This way
> you don't need to scan your entire inbox for messages from a particular
> list and the "assumed context" can be a somewhat safe assumption.
>
> As an alternative, use a mail-server which supports server-side
> sorting.
> For example using Sieve.
>
> Sorry; I didn't think my suggestion would be all that controversial.
> As a data point, I checked through my email archive for Mailman-based
> mailing list messages which had or didn't have a [listName] subject
> prefix:
>
> - 2288 messages with a [listName] subject prefix
>
> - 20 messages without a [listName] subject prefix, of which 15 were
> nginx postings

I can't believe that you've got what looks like 2000+ emails hitting
your inbox each day and you're not using anything to filter them into
folders.
I've got to the point now where I perhaps have 3-4 emails a week into my
inbox but 1000's scattered into various folders for mailing lists and
even down to certain people having their own filters.

Personally I don't mind if the subject has the mailman [listname] or
not, as long as there's some way for me to filter it.

Filtering into folders also means I can choose when I want to look at
certain emails. I may want to read one from my accountant, about my tax
return, before scanning through the kernel mailing list or nginx for
example.