Add [nginx] to subject lines on this mailing list?

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Fri May 17 13:04:11 UTC 2013

Hello!

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 11:07:28AM -0400, Daniel Griscom wrote:

> At 3:34 PM +0200 5/16/13, René Neumann wrote:
> >Am 16.05.2013 15:18, schrieb Jim Ohlstein:
> >> I think what Maxim was alluding to is that any decent email client will
> >> sort messages for you based on headers if you set it do do so. This way
> >> you don't need to scan your entire inbox for messages from a particular
> >> list and the "assumed context" can be a somewhat safe assumption.
> >
> >As an alternative, use a mail-server which supports server-side sorting.
> >For example using Sieve.
>
> Sorry; I didn't think my suggestion would be all that controversial.
> As a data point, I checked through my email archive for
> Mailman-based mailing list messages which had or didn't have a
> [listName] subject prefix:
>
> - 2288 messages with a [listName] subject prefix
>
> - 20 messages without a [listName] subject prefix, of which 15 were
> nginx postings
>

> So, omitting the prefix is an unusual choice, but if it's necessary
> then that's fine.

>From about 10 mailing lists I'm subscribed to (nginx, memcached,
mercurial, various freebsd lists, ...) only nginx-announce@ and
nginx-ru-announce@ has prefix added.  So from my point of view
prefix isn't something common, and mostly used for low-traffic
lists.

Overral I don't think that adding a prefix for nginx@ (nginx-ru@,
nginx-devel@) will make me happy.

http://nginx.org/en/donation.html