Modules behaving differently on 32-bit and 64-bit systems?

andrewc nginx-forum at nginx.us
Mon Oct 21 05:13:56 UTC 2013

Hi there,

I have built nginx 1.5.6 from source, with a 3rd party module (xtoken -
http://code.google.com/p/nginx-xtoken-module/).

I have it working fine on a 32-bit Debian Squeeze system. An identical build
on a 64-bit Centos 6.4 system, with an identical configuration file results
in the error: "nginx: [crit] ngx_slab_alloc() failed: no memory" on
startup.

I have narrowed the problem to the xtoken module, in as much as removing
references to it on the 64-bit system results in nginx starting correctly.

I have had a quick look at the module source code, and can't see anything
that is obviously 32-bit -centric, other than a couple of variables that
have been declared as uint32_t.

Is it correct to assume that a properly written module will work correctly
on both 32 and 64-bit systems?
Is there any additional nginx configuration that needs to be performed on
64-bit systems?

Thanks,

Andrew

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,243883,243883#msg-243883