Turn off Nginx SPDY ?

Valentin V. Bartenev vbart at nginx.com
Sun Sep 8 11:47:51 UTC 2013

On Sunday 08 September 2013 15:18:06 George wrote:
> I want to test non-SPDY vs SPDY performance for Nginx and I have Nginx
> compiled with SPDY support and it's enabled by adding to listen directive
> the spdy option as per
> http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_spdy_module.html.
>
> I thought that omitting the spdy option would disable SPDY temporarily ?

Without the parameter on listen directive SPDY is disabled.

> But it seems spdycheck.org still reports the https:// site supports SPDY
> and browser shows site with SPDY support even with the spdy line removed
> from listen directive ?

There are only three possibilities for this:

 1. You have not reloaded the configuration after it was changed, then
    nginx is working with the old one.

 2. You have removed parameter only from one listen directive but there
    is another one.  It works per addr:port pair (like most of listen
    parameters), not per server block.

 3. Your browser and spdycheck.org is lying about current status.

wbr, Valentin V. Bartenev