Limit IP req/s excl bots

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Sep 18 13:56:00 UTC 2013

Hello!

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 11:15:54PM +0930, SplitIce wrote:

> I also think I found that 0 length keys wont be stored. This isn't in the
> documentation but if I understand the code correctly they aren't, is this
> correct?

It's in the documentation, see http://nginx.org/r/limit_req_zone:

: ... The key is any non-empty value of the specified variable (empty
: values are not accounted). ...

> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 11:06 PM, SplitIce <mat999 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know if there is any truth to this blog post:
> > http://gadelkareem.com/2012/03/25/limit-requests-per-ip-on-nginx-using-httplimitzonemodule-and-httplimitreqmodule-except-whitelist/
> >
> > And if so where about in the code its implemented? I was trying to find
> > out if its possible to use a map to control limit req/s limits but I still
> > cant find the code that does what that article says is possible.

The configuration provided in the post linked doesn't do any
whitelisting.  Though it's mostly trivial to introduce one using a
map{}.

http://nginx.org/en/donation.html