How do I disable DNS Caching and DNS Reverse Lookup in Nginx ?

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Jan 7 02:31:36 UTC 2014

Hello!

On Mon, Jan 06, 2014 at 12:35:46PM -0500, linuxr00lz2013 wrote:

> Hello thank you for your reply!
>
> 1) I have shown you the real configuration and logs. All I changed was the
> FQDN's because I dont know if I am allowed by my company to post them
> online.

The problem is that it makes configs and logs unusable for the
purpose of tracing typos and dump misconfigurations like proxy
loops.

General recommendation for those who don't want to show names and
ips in public is to reporoduce a problem in some test environment
instead, and provide real configs and logs from this environment.

> 2) Which tests do you recommend I run using telnet and curl? I am not too
> familiar with using curl so any guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Most trivial test is to do something like:

$ time curl -o /dev/null http://example.com

to see if it show the problem (i.e., if it's slow, and how slow it
is).

http://nginx.org/