Caching servers in Local ISPs !!

itpp2012 nginx-forum at nginx.us
Tue Jun 17 18:32:59 UTC 2014

shahzaib1232 Wrote:
> i don't think the solution rdns will be suitable for us. I have
> checked the
> zebra software to make linux a BGP router
> http://www.techrepublic.com/article/use-zebra-to-set-up-a-linux-bgp-os
> pf-router/
>
> Could you tell me if BGP is capable of doing what we want? Because our
> local ISP supports this method and i have no idea how to implement it.
>
> Functionality we need, is to auto detect the new ip prefixes from
> local ISP
> so they'll not have to provide us thousands of prefixes on daily
> basis.

Why not use a DNS for the clients? your making things too complicated.

Client-1-request at ISP-1 -> edge1.streaming.au ISP-1-DNS -> 12.34.56.78 (which
is your edge box)
Client-1-request at ISP-2 -> edge1.streaming.au ISP-2-DNS -> 99.88.77.66 (which
is your box in the US)

Anyone from ISP-1 will always be directed to the edge systems, anyone else
to where-ever you point the dns.

ISP's also use regional DNS servers which allows you more edge systems
closer to the users.

Anyway, BGP see http://bird.network.cz/ (netflix solution)

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,249997,250953#msg-250953