502 errors with nginx+gunicorn

xkillac4 nginx-forum at nginx.us
Mon Sep 8 21:01:07 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I am sending large post request to gunicorn/django behind nginx.  If
gunicorn responds and closes the connection before nginx has finished
sending the large request body, it causes nginx to issue a 502 Bad Gateway
response instead of the app server's response.  This scenario happens e.g.,
if the endpoint requires authentication but the request is not authenticated
(401 or 403).

More info here: https://github.com/benoitc/gunicorn/issues/872

As noted in the linked gunicorn issue, I've worked around this by making
sure django waits for the entire request to come in before responding.  Not
sure if this is something you guys are interested in looking into, but
thought I'd share.

Thanks,
Colin

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,253135,253135#msg-253135