Support team says Nginx + Passenger harder to support than Apache

Scott Larson stl at wiredrive.com
Tue Sep 30 17:15:48 UTC 2014

     Frankly it sounds more like laziness or being averse to change. All I
can relay is experience with our setup here which is purely FreeBSD with an
internal Poudriere based package build server, and system/config management
with Salt. Taken as a whole it's a painless and relatively trivial process
to keep nginx+modules fully up to date and pushed to all the servers. In
your case the key part is the management layer. Salt, Ansible, Chef,
Puppet, whatever, those things do the true heavy lifting once your server
count rises to greater than two and completely levels the field for ease of
updates between nginx and Apache.
     I will say the Passenger module seems to be one of those which goes
through fits of updates which if I had to use it would be mildly irksome
for non-technical reasons. But with a proper method of package deployment
it remains an easy job. Even if nginx were slightly harder to keep updated,
which again it's not, I'd still go through the trouble simply for the
performance circles it runs around Apache.

*__________________Scott LarsonSystems AdministratorWiredrive/LA310 823
8238 ext. 1106310 943 2078 faxwww.wiredrive.com
<http://www.wiredrive.com/>www.twitter.com/wiredrive
<http://www.twitter.com/wiredrive>www.facebook.com/wiredrive