mistserver features in nginx

Andrew Hutchings ahutchings at nginx.com
Wed Dec 30 14:43:27 UTC 2015

Hi Zenny,

On 20/12/15 17:08, Zenny wrote:
> On 12/20/15, Valentin V. Bartenev <vbart at nginx.com> wrote:
>> On Sunday 20 December 2015 10:44:03 Zenny wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Just reading the following two documents and the first link refers to
>>> the some of the nginx features.
>>>
>>> https://mistserver.org/comparison
>>> https://mistserver.org/guides/ProFeatures_2.4.pdf
>>>
>>> But there are stuffs which I think are incorrect like recording option
>>> which nginx_rtmp module already has
>>> (https://github.com/arut/nginx-rtmp-module/wiki/Directives#record) but
>>> the first document states it does not have!
>>>
>>> Can you add more to this thread which the first document claims "does
>>> not have in nginx", but otherwise?
>>>
>> [..]
>>
>> It's worth to add nginx plus to the comparison, since it has enchantments
>> in this area.
>>
>> See:
>>
>>    http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_f4f_module.html
>>    http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_hls_module.html
>>    http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_mp4_module.html#mp4_limit_rate
>
> Thanks Valentin. It would be nicer if you can specify which feature of
> the mistserver (in the mistserver comparison list) are replaced by
> above.
>
> Expecting more inputs flowing in!

I'm not an expert on our RTMP module but here are a few things I quickly
found:

* Live transcoding is possible using ffmpeg (as in our documented examples)

* I'm not quite sure what is meant by multi-protocol DVR here. But
through ffmpeg multiple protocols are supported.

* As mentioned, live recording is supported

* Stdin is a bad comparison. Web servers shouldn't take data via stdin.

* MPEG-DASH is supported

* "Progressive FLV Streaming" is an oxymoron. You are either doing
progressive downloading or streaming.

It looks like the comparison is rather old and open to interpretation.
It is very much an apples to oranges comparison.

Kind Regards
--
Andrew Hutchings (LinuxJedi)
Technical Product Manager, NGINX Inc.