websocket causes "client sent invalid method ..."

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Sat Jul 4 05:20:33 UTC 2015

Hello!

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 11:08:36PM -0400, snagytx wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying setup nginx for socket proxy. I was able to find that nginx can
> be configured to proxy websockets and added an error log file in the server
> configuration block to isolate the messages, and I get:
>
> client sent invalid method while reading client request line, client:
> XX.XX.XX.1, server: , request: ҁb▒▒"
>
> in the access logs I see:
>
> XX.XX.XX.1 - - [30/Jun/2015:17:39:15 -0400]
> "\x00\x08\x1B\x19\x94\xD2\x81b\xBD\xF3" 400 172 "-" "-" "-"
>
> The software that is I need to proxy is a remote assistant application with
> a web servlet running inside tomcat and with two client applications, one
> admin and one user, that connect to the server and communicate.
>
> Is there anything that can be done to make it work?

The "websocket proxy" is something completely different from what
you are looking for.  It's to proxy the Websocket protocol
connections - that is, to proxy HTTP/1.1 requests with protocol
upgrade.

To proxy arbitrary stream sockets, use the stream module.  See
here for details:

http://nginx.org/en/docs/stream/ngx_stream_core_module.html

Note that it's only available in nginx 1.9.x.

http://nginx.org/