Default value of gzip_proxied

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Sun Mar 22 17:06:54 UTC 2015

Hello!

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 03:14:22PM +0100, B.R. wrote:

> I do not get why you focus on the gzip_vary directive, while I was
> explicitely talking about gzip_proxied.
> The fact that content supposedly compressed might actually not be because
> it contains a 'Via' header is the root cause of our trouble... and you just
> told me it was for HTTP/1.0 compatibility.

With HTTP/1.0, there is only one safe option:

- don't compress anything for proxies.

With HTTP/1.1, there are two options:

- don't compress anything for proxies;

- compress for proxies, but send Vary to avoid incorrect behaviour.

The second options, which becomes available if you don't care
about HTTP/1.0 compatibility at all, has its downsides I've
talked about.

http://nginx.org/