Default value of gzip_proxied

B.R. reallfqq-nginx at yahoo.fr
Tue Mar 24 18:11:17 UTC 2015

Hi Maxim,

There is still something I do not get...

The gzip_proxied
<http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_gzip_module.html#gzip_proxied>
default value is set to honor the HTTP/1.0 protocol (which does not have
the Vary header and thus is unable to cache different versions of a
document) in some proxies.
However, the gzip_http_version
<http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_gzip_module.html#gzip_http_version>
default value is set so that only HTTP/1.1 requests are being compressed...
Thus with the default setting it is impossible to compress requests
advertising HTTP/1.0.

The RFC
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-14#section-2.5>
dictates:

   Intermediaries that process HTTP messages (i.e., all intermediaries
   other than those acting as a tunnel) MUST send their own HTTP-Version
   in forwarded messages.  In other words, they MUST NOT blindly forward
   the first line of an HTTP message without ensuring that the protocol
   version matches what the intermediary understands, and is at least
   conditionally compliant to, for both the receiving and sending of
   messages.

'tunnel' is considered different as a 'proxy', as section 2.3
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-14#section-2.3>
indicates:

   There are three common forms of HTTP
   intermediary: proxy, gateway, and tunnel.

Thus, any HTTP/1.0 proxy should be seen with a HTTP/1.0 protocol version
header... and thus should naturally get an uncompressed version of the page.

Non-compliant proxies can be bogus in thousands of way, so there is no
point in trying to satisfy them anyway.

In the light of these elements, I am still wondering why the default
behavior of the gzip module for HTTP/1.1 requests going through a
(HTTP/1.1) proxy is to send a disturbing uncompressed version of the page.
---
*B. R.*