Websockets proxy "Broken pipe"

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Sep 9 16:31:23 UTC 2015

Hello!

On Wed, Sep 09, 2015 at 07:09:05AM -0400, kay wrote:

> I have a problem with nginx and websockets proxy.
>
> Here is the message I receive:
>
> [error] 20999#0: *1997296 send() failed (32: Broken pipe) while proxying
> upgraded connection, client: 10.0.25.47, server: example.com, request: "GET
> /xmpp/ HTTP/1.1", upstream: "http://192.168.122.8:5280/xmpp/", host:
> "example.com"
>
> Here is my config:
>
>         location /xmpp {
>                 proxy_pass http://192.168.122.8:5280;
>                 proxy_http_version 1.1;
>                 proxy_set_header Upgrade $http_upgrade;
>                 proxy_set_header Connection "upgrade";
>         }
>
> When ejabberd has big history log, nginx returns error message.

The message suggests that either client or upstream server
unexpectedly closed connection while nginx was proxying their data
to each other after a connection upgrade.  This may happen due to
incorrect client (or upstream server) behaviour, but unlikely
indicate any problem in nginx itself.

http://nginx.org/