time to read packets for HTTP query

Lukas Tribus luky-37 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 11 12:15:25 UTC 2015

> Does not seem to do what the GP asked, from the docs:
>
> $request_time
> request processing time in seconds with a milliseconds resolution
> (1.3.9, 1.2.6); time elapsed since the first bytes were read from the client

"request time" would imply the time (with our without parsing) of the
actual HTTTP request, imho.

In reality $request_time accounts for the complete request, response and
logging, so yes, you are right.

This is clearer in [1] then it is in [2]:
> between the first bytes were read from the client and
> *the log write after the last bytes were sent to the client*

Lukas

[1] http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_log_module.html#log_format
[2] http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_core_module.html#var_request_time