Nginx waiting connections growing

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Sep 16 12:49:58 UTC 2015

Hello!

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 06:09:24AM -0400, kamalakarv wrote:

> I have one more question
>
> 24360 ?        Ss     0:00 nginx: master process /etc/nginx/sbin/nginx
> 10479 ?        S      0:06  \_ nginx: worker process
>
>  >  ls -l /proc/10479/fd | wc -l
>     95
>
> Active connections: 551
> server accepts handled requests
> 69542 69542 79078
> Reading: 0 Writing: 2 Waiting: 524
>
> -- As per my understanding if there are 551 active connections means there
> should be same amount of fd ( file descriptors)  should be opened  right?
> but in my case it is just  95 ?

It looks like nginx worker process died for some reason.  Try
looking into logs, it should have something like "[alert] worker
process ... exited on signal ...".

Some very basic things to check are:

- if you are seeing the problem without 3rd party modules;

- if you are seeing the problem with recent nginx versions.

Some more debugging hints can be found at:

http://wiki.nginx.org/Debugging

http://nginx.org/