Setting headers

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Mon Sep 28 14:54:58 UTC 2015

Hello!

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 04:20:41PM +0200, Joó Ádám wrote:

> Something that long bothered me, and perhaps has already been
> discussed, but I haven’t found anything on it: why is there no way to
> set arbitrary headers without using an extension module? I know that
> the `add_header` directive has been augmented with the `always` flag
> recently, but there’s still no way to freely change headers. I
> personally think this is something that one could expect from a web
> server.

The "add_header" directive allows to add headers, the
"proxy_hide_header" directive allows to hide headers got from an
upstream server.  These two combined allows mostly arbitrary
modifications.  If you think these are not enough - please provide
specific use cases.

> My specific scenario is that I want to implement server-side
> content-negotiation, by conditionally applying an XSL stylesheet and
> changing the content-type accordingly.

When using nginx XSLT filter module, it shouldn't be needed to
modify Content-Type at all.  Use xsl:output media-type attribute
instead to provide a correct media type from the stylesheet itself.

http://nginx.org/