Need help with Nginx Logging

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Sat Feb 20 09:36:17 UTC 2016

On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 02:11:38PM +0500, Muhammad Rehan wrote:

Hi there,

> Thanks for the reply, I have setup the directives such that rate is 30r/s
> and burst is 10. So, my question is; why are these requests being limited
> when averaging at 10.2 while I have set the rate to 30r/s in req_limit_zone?

How many requests do your log files say happened in the previous few
seconds?

About 10 per second, or about 40 per second, or something else?

"excess" means "above the limit".

(Reading the log file is not perfect - slow responses will distort what it
appears to show. But if everything is logged, and responses take roughly
the same amount of time, you should be able to see whether your actual
rate is close to "burst", or close to "rate+burst".)

> On Feb 20, 2016 11:37 AM, "aT" <atif.ali at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > excess: 10.200 in above log means that the requests are being limited as
> > they are averaging at 10.2 requests / second .

...more than the configured limit.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org