HTTP/405

Valentin V. Bartenev vbart at nginx.com
Fri Aug 4 17:36:01 UTC 2017

On Friday 04 August 2017 09:42:42 Frank Liu wrote:
> Valentin,
>
> I checked the trac and basically it says very complicated to properly
> implement. When I try the same curl against apache.org, they just return a
> blank Allow header to compliant RFC. Maybe nginx can do the same?

[..]

Why should nginx do the same?  Is there any real problem with that?

According to RFC:

 | An empty Allow field value indicates that the resource allows no methods,
 | which might occur in a 405 response if the resource has been temporarily
 | disabled by configuration.

that, as you know, isn't the case for apache.org.  So, such behavior can
only mislead a client.

Unfortunately, the real world sometimes a bit different than theory of
RFC authors.  Strict and blind following to RFC is fine for academic
purposes, but doesn't always work for real world applications.  It's
definitely not the goal you should achieve by any price.

  wbr, Valentin V. Bartenev