HTTP/405

B.R. reallfqq-nginx at yahoo.fr
Mon Aug 7 17:21:52 UTC 2017

It would be interesting to amend the flawed RFC to adapt to the real world
then, wouldn't it?

Much like in any languages, specifications/reference and real world offen
differ, but that should me a pretext to ignor the specs are here for a
reason: make everyone try to speak the same language and be accessible to
everyone else.

>From what I understand, the fix would be the following: the RFC should
accept an empty Allow and consider it equivalent to its presence with an
empty value.
​It is indeed logic and useful as the answer length gets reduced​.
However, one might wonder about backwards-compatibility, as current-day
non-compliant Web servers which do not specify the Allow header might be
interpreted by future clients as having no available method to gather the
requested URI, even if that was not the initial goal.
---
*B. R.*