Help! 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable when trying to reverse-proxy wordpress

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Mon Jun 26 23:16:26 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 06:24:50PM +0100, Fabrice Triboix wrote:

Hi there,

> I looked again at the requests from the browser (chrome), and I can
> see something peculiar: the requests for "/" and "/favicon.ico" have
> a header "Host: incise.co"; however the other requests have a header
> "Host: 92.222.75.87". That's really weird... Could that be the cause
> of the problem?

Yes.

> If yes, how come the browser sends the IP address
> for the "Host" header, which is after all meant to allow servicing
> different domains on the same IP address?

Do

curl -v http://incise.co/

which sends a http 301, so then do

curl -v https://incise.co/

and look at the returned content.

Whatever server is listening there is returning the html content with
links to things below https://92.222.75.87/

Most likely, your wordpress is configured to do that. If you can configure
your wordpress to start all internal links with "/" instead of "http",
it will probably Just Work.

Alternatively, in the nginx config that you did not show, perhaps
"proxy_set_header Host $http_host;" was not present.

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org