Why fastcgi_temp, scgi_temp, uwsgi_temp directories getting created under home dir

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Thu May 25 15:24:29 UTC 2017

Hello!

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 02:56:47PM +0000, Prabhash Rathore wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We see following directories getting created in our home directory when we
> install nginx:
>
> - fastcgi_temp
> - scgi_temp
> - uwsgi_temp
>
> Can someone please tell me what are these directories and how can I
> configure nginx not to create these or create at a different location?

See documentation here:

http://nginx.org/r/fastcgi_temp_path
http://nginx.org/r/scgi_temp_path
http://nginx.org/r/uwsgi_temp_path

Compiled-in defaults can be set during compilation using
appopriate configure options:

  --http-fastcgi-temp-path=PATH      set path to store
                                     http fastcgi temporary files
  --http-uwsgi-temp-path=PATH        set path to store
                                     http uwsgi temporary files
  --http-scgi-temp-path=PATH         set path to store
                                     http scgi temporary files

> At first I thought these are some sort of caching directory but we don't
> have caching enabled so I am hoping it has nothing to do with caching.
>
> We are using nginx mail module with http proxy. We don't have fastcgi, scgi
> and uwsgi modules so not sure why are these directories being created? Here
> is our nginx config:
> https://gist.github.com/prabhash1785/fe7bd1f4da4f63503135bd296fc77633

FastCGI, SCGI, and uWSGI modules are compiled in by default,
unless you explicitly disable them with appropriate configure

  --without-http_fastcgi_module      disable ngx_http_fastcgi_module
  --without-http_uwsgi_module        disable ngx_http_uwsgi_module
  --without-http_scgi_module         disable ngx_http_scgi_module

And once modules are compiled in, appropriate temp
directories are created on start.

http://nginx.org/