Throttle based on ETA time?

lem0nhead nginx-forum at forum.nginx.org
Sat Nov 17 17:43:12 UTC 2018

Could be any time, the point is that if I have 100 clients trying to
download, I prefer having 10 completing their download each 10 minutes then
having all the 100 clients completing the download after 100 minutes.

Scenario 1 (which is what I'd like):
00:00 - 100 clients start downloading
00:10 - 90 clients are dropped and 10 clients finish downloading
00:20 - 10 more clients finish downloading
01:40 - all 100 clients finish downloading

Scenario 2 (which is what would happen if I don't use this kind of
throttling):
00:00 - 100 clients start downloading
01:40 - all 100 clients finish downloading

So, scenario 1 looks much better in my opinion, because the end time for 100
clients is the same, but if you think about this download in the middle of a
pipeline, the first clients can be working on other steps.

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,282019,282029#msg-282029