[nginx-user] Please DO NOT add [nginx] to subject

Ralph Seichter m16+nginx at monksofcool.net
Sat Oct 13 09:57:08 UTC 2018

On 13.10.18 10:16, Stefan Müller wrote:

> Sure /nginx at nginx.org/ is fine for actively filtering, or for putting
> everything into another folder, but every other mailing list I'm on
> tags the list name in the subject.

Then you are not subscribed the right mailing lists. ;-)

Seriously, this discussion is almost as old as mailing lists. Rewriting
the subject adds clutter, messes with some MUAs, wastes screen estate on
devices with small screens (e.g. smartphones), and breaks DKIM.

Filtering by the existing "List-Id" header works just fine. Also, you
can use address extensions with your Google Mail (and many others),
meaning that you can have your mailing list messages automatically
filtered/labelled properly. Look at my address in this message, it
uses "+nginx" as an extension.

-Ralph