SSL stream to HTTP2 server

Danila Vershinin ciapnz at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 18:26:31 UTC 2018

Hello,

I’m trying to basically use nginx as replacement to hitch (for Varnish).

Request goes like this: browser → nginx (stream SSL) → varnish (HTTP2 on) → backend HTTP

stream {
    server {
	listen 443 ssl;
        ssl_certificate /etc/letsencrypt/live/example.com/fullchain.pem;
        ssl_certificate_key /etc/letsencrypt/live/example.com/privkey.pem;
        proxy_pass 127.0.0.1:6081;
        proxy_protocol on;

With the above, I’m getting HTTP/1.1 in browser.
When I replace nginx with hitch, I get HTTP/2.

From Hitch docs: "Hitch will transmit the selected protocol as part of its PROXY header” Does nginx have same capability?

In general, is nginx capable of being SSL terminator for HTTP/2 backends using TCP streams? (while delivering HTTP/2 to supporting clients). I’m interested in using TCP streams since only those will allow use of PROXY protocol to upstream.

Best Regards,
Danila