404 Error

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Wed Jan 16 23:33:17 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 01:20:14PM -0500, petrosetta wrote:

Hi there,

> I have NGINX set up to pass requests to an upstream server. The home page
> and several other pages comes up just fine. However, when the users requests
> some reports that are in a directory just above the root directory on the
> upstream server, we get a 404 error from NGINX. Below are the relevant
> entries. We can see the reports when we bring up the site on the upstream
> server itself. Is there any way to get NGINX to see the reports in that
> directory?

You seem to be suggesting that you can successfully access
http://devserver/dev/something by going through nginx, but you cannot
successfully access http://devserver/something by going through nginx.

Is that correct?

If so, the answer is something like

  location / { proxy_pass http://devserver; }

or maybe

  location ~ thing { proxy_pass http://devserver; }

You need to decide what requests you want nginx to send to the upstream
devserver, and configure location{}s accordingly.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org