How to configure Auth digest behind a proxy

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Sun Jan 3 22:32:04 UTC 2021

Hello!

On Sat, Jan 02, 2021 at 01:13:59AM +0000, kev jr wrote:

>  Hello and happy new year
>
> I try to implement digest authentication on Nginx.
>
> The architecture is the following :
> Server A is the client
> Server B is the proxy (a API solution which only transmits the request as a proxy)
> Server C is my Nginx server where I configure the Digest authentification
>
> I have the following error, when my client try to connect to my Nginx through the proxy :
> uri mismatch - <proxyuri> does not match request-uri <nginxuri>
>
> because the client (server A) send the following parameter for the authentication
> Digest username="client", realm="Test", nonce="xxxxxx", uri="proxyuri", cnonce="xxxx=", nc=xxxx, qop=auth, response="xxx", algorithm=MD5\r\n
>
> The client (server A) send the proxyuri, and the Nginx server (server C) waiting for the nginxuri.
>
> Do you know which parameter, I need to add in my Nginx configuration to perform the connection ?
> Or Do you know, if it's possible to implement Digest authentication on Nginx behind a proxy ?
>
> For your information, the direct connection Client to Nginx server with Digest authentication works fine.

nginx itself does not support Digest authentication, only Basic one
(http://nginx.org/r/auth_basic).

If you are using some 3rd party module to implement Digest
authentication, you may want to refer to this module docs (or
sources) to find out how to properly use it behind a proxy.

Alternatively, consider switching to Basic authentication instead,
which is natively supported and, for obvious reasons, does not
have problems with proxying.

http://mdounin.ru/