Installing dynamic modules when Nginx itself is installed via yum/dnf (Linux)

steve at greengecko.co.nz steve at greengecko.co.nz
Thu Jan 7 03:53:35 UTC 2021

nginx -T

will provide you with the config that is used for the delivered version of nginx 1.18.0 under fedora. That's a good starting point.

Steve

January 7, 2021 4:47 PM, "Phoenix Kiula" <phoenix.kiula at gmail.com (mailto:phoenix.kiula at gmail.com?to=%22Phoenix%20Kiula%22%20<phoenix.kiula at gmail.com>)> wrote:
  Thank you Thomas. Much appreciate this, it sounds promising. Appreciate your clarity.  So if I:  1. Compile nginx via `dnf install nginx` and that becomes my system's Nginx, installed usually in `/etc/nginx`
  2. In a totally separate folder, say, `/usr/src`, I then download a tarball of Nginx and compile it along with the dynamic modules -- which will produce the .so files for said modules
  3. Copy over the modules into the usual `/etc/nginx/modules` folder from Step 1   ....in this sequence of steps, how do I make sure that:   A. The compilation in Step 2 does not become my "system's nginx" (so when I do an `nginx -v` at the command prompt it should be refer to the nginx installed in Step 1 above, and *not* the one compiled via Step 2)  B. The compile in Step 2 will use the "same libraries" that DNF used? In the DNF version of life I didn't pick any libraries manually...DNF found what was on my system. Will the manual compile not do the same?  Many thanks!