Using nginx as a HLS reverse proxy with Envoy?

Reinis Rozitis r at roze.lv
Wed Jul 14 06:15:27 UTC 2021

> How? The presentation does not cover that.

You shouldn't stick to a single youtube video.

> And it can't be a simple HTTP

It is.
Even the name HLS stands for "HTTP Live Streaming".

> , because as you said yourself, with HLS I would just end up with a cached playlist and bunch of useless VOD chunks that I don't want to ever serve.

As with http objects to cache or not to cache is something the server can specify (like no-cache headers (add_header 'Cache-Control' 'no-cache'; [1]) etc) and it's on player/client side to honour those.

No matter the stream setup (live stream / with or without history or delay) the video chunks are just static files (written by the transcoder).

[1] http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_headers_module.html

rr