force nginx to use SSL/TLS alert on invalid client certificate

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Mar 2 13:32:24 UTC 2021

Hello!

On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 03:30:02AM -0500, charlemagnelasse wrote:

> How can I force nginx also to report the client certificate error via the
> TLS alert mechanisms instead of this useless HTML page?

This is not currently posssible.

On the other hand, if you want to make the page more useful in
your particular use case, you can do so by configuring appropriate
page with the error_page directive, see here:

http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_ssl_module.html#errors

Certificate verification results can be found in the
$ssl_client_verify variable.

http://mdounin.ru/