help with https to http and WSS to WS reverse proxy conf

Michael Williams michael.glenn.williams at totalvu.tv
Thu Sep 15 17:00:31 UTC 2022

Francis,

WIth your help and suggestions of starting with the simplest and slowly
adding steps, it is working.
Here is the working config below. I started by getting the web server part
only working well. You suggested not to use scheme=http
for redirect, so I'm listening on 80 and redirecting. I put each function
into a distinct server which seems to have helped.
The HTTPS server is serving the requests, and serving our app as the index
page.

Once that was working, I tried using port 25565 within NGINX and also the
app inside docker.
NGINX refused saying there was already a listener on that port. So  I had
to go back to putting the client on a different port than the server.
I took out the map block and the upstream block, as it seems fine to put
the commands inline in the server.
The two things that seemed to clinch it were adding ssl to the listener
line in the 25566 server, and adding the timeout.
I turns out, our app server negotiates everything on 25565, and does not
use 80 or 443 to start the WSS negotiation.
Once the timeout was added, it worked. There seemed to be a lot of
discussion around WSS timeouts on the web, so I tried it.
Frankly I'm not sure why it is required. I don't know what I would have
done if the app server needed to start the WS negotiation on 443 and then
switch to
25565.

I suspect there may be some additional ssl settings I will need.

Many thanks again for your time and wisdom and sharing it.

server_tokens off;
ssl_certificate /etc/letsencrypt/live/esports1.totalvu.live/fullchain.pem;
# managed by Certbot
ssl_certificate_key
/etc/letsencrypt/live/esports1.totalvu.live/privkey.pem; # managed by
Certbot
include /etc/letsencrypt/options-ssl-nginx.conf; # managed by Certbot
ssl_dhparam /etc/letsencrypt/ssl-dhparams.pem; # managed by Certbot
ssl_protocols        TLSv1.1 TLSv1.2;

log_format withport '$remote_addr - $remote_user [$time_local] '
                    '"$request" $status $body_bytes_sent '
                    '"$http_referer" "$http_user_agent" ' "srv p "
$server_port " rem p " $remote_port;
access_log /var/log/nginx/access.log withport;

# Port 80 web server
server {
#   first redirect to https
    listen 80;
    return 301 https://$host$request_uri;
}

# Port 443 web and wss server
server {
    root /var/www/html;
    index  cc.html;

#   Web server for https
    listen [::]:443 ssl ipv6only=on; # managed by Certbot
    listen 443 ssl; # managed by Certbot
}

server {
    listen 25566 ssl;