Nginx using HTPPS but without SSL ???

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 02:11:30 UTC 2023

On Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 8:26 PM Gus Flowers Starkiller
<relectgustfs at gmail.com> wrote:

> I need test some pages in my office but with a different domain and I don't have SSL certificates.
>
> Is there any way to publicate a web site with an alias?
> For example   mysite1.com (using nginx) to siteok.domain.com ???

You can add an alias or cname record in DNS that says mysite1.com ->
siteok.domain.com. However, siteok.domain.com must have a TLS
certificate issued to siteok.domain.com.

One certificate can have multiple domain names by adding the names in
the Subject Alternate Names (SAN). So one certificate can have
mysite1.com and siteok.domain.com.

If you don't want to buy the certificates or go through the validation
process, then you can run your own CA. You install your Root CA
certificate into the browser store. Then you issue web server
certificates to hosts for testing.

Running your own CA is safe and effective. It's no different from what
the public CAs do. I run my own CA at the house.

Jeff