AW: nginx-1.23.3 on Win Server wth HTTPS

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Jan 18 19:31:29 UTC 2023

Hello!

On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 12:41:32PM +0000, Kappes, Michael wrote:

> My "correct certificate information" is the Problem. Nginx tells me:
>
> invalid number of arguments in "ssl_certificate" directive in C:\nginx\nginx-1.23.3/conf/nginx.conf:102
> (please note: "\" and "/" in the same path?!)

This works fine, since Windows interprets both "\" and "/" in
places (including the functions nginx uses).

> C:\nginx\nginx-1.23.3\cert\ => here a my cert and key files
> At my nginx.conf file (the syntax) =>
>
>         ssl_certificate      C:\nginx\nginx-1.23.3\cert\1-Servername.cert.pem;
>         ssl_certificate_key  C:\nginx\nginx-1.23.3\cert\1-Servername.cert.key;

When using "\" in nginx configuration, you have to be careful to
properly escape it, since "\" is also an escape character, and,
for example, "\n" will be interpreted as a newline character.  As
such, using "/" is usually easier.

On the other hand, this particular issue does not explain why you
are seeing the "invalid number of arguments" error, it should be
"cannot load certificate" with a garbled certificate path instead.

The "invalid number of arguments" error suggests you've typed
multiple arguments in the directive (instead of just one it
accepts).  This usually happens if a space character is
accidentally used where it shouldn't, but in the directives as
shown certainly there are no extra space characters.

Most likely, there is an issue with the text editor you use, and
it's somehow inserts some additional non-printable characters,
such as byte order mark or something like that, and this confuses
nginx.

What editor do you use?  Is using another one and re-typing the
directives) makes a difference?  E.g., Notepad is usually
available on Windows and does not seem to corrupt text files.

[...]

http://mdounin.ru/