Question regarding IMAP & SMTP Proxy

Igor Sysoev is at
Wed Dec 12 14:27:21 MSK 2007

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 12:09:08PM +0100, Matthieu Sevestre wrote:

> I'm new to Nginx. I'm facing a problem and perhaps nginx may be able to
> help me :)
> Considering that Nginx will run on a server (let's say with LAN IP
>, I would like to be able to use as server setting in my
> mailer:
> - IMAP server: / nginx listen port #1
> - SMTP server: / nginx listen port #2
> Final IMAP/SMTP servers to access are:
> - IMAP: through SSL (port #993)
> - SMTP: through port #25
> Will Nginx be able to "forward" my requests correctly or did I
> misunderstood its capabilities ?
> If Nginx is able to do this, could you help me to configure it please
> because after having a look to the wiki, I did not found anything related
> to the use I wish :) ?

You probably may use nginx in this way, however, it will be complex setup:
you need authorization server, that will route your sessions to gmail.

The main purpose of mail proxy is handling thousands of incoming sessions:

If you have tens or so sessions you do not need nginx.
Try to look something else.

Igor Sysoev