mod_strip newline substitution problem

Evan Miller emmiller at gmail.com
Fri May 2 23:33:36 MSD 2008

The problem is that I can't replace newlines before end tags with a space:

http://www.emf.net/~estephen/htmlner/whitespacebugs.html

Unfortunately mod_strip doesn't support look-ahead. When it encounters a
newline, it has to decide what to do with it before examining subsequent
characters (that is, before examining whether the newline precedes an end
tag).

Short of rewriting to support look-ahead, maybe I could support options:

location ... {
    strip on;
    strip_characters tabs spaces newlines;
}

By default perhaps newlines shouldn't be processed. What do you think? In
any event, I will update the docs to reflect this bug.

Thanks,

Evan

--
Evan Miller