Getting rewritten and encoded/escaped url in nginx module

Jayadev C jayadev at
Tue Jun 3 16:42:41 UTC 2014

I am writing a nginx proxy module and want to grab the url which is urlencoded (as the client sends it) and also after rewrite rules are applied.  My typical url looks like : path1/path2/path3/urlencoded(key)?args, after rewriting the url I would love to have is something like :

Currently , r->uri  is decoded rewritten uri, r->unparsed_uri is encoded but not rewritten.

I read on the forum that nginx decodes the url for rewrite, is there a handy internal function I can use encode the rewritten url back. A simple use of ngx_escape_uri(r->uri) with different parameters doesn't do what I want out of the box.