SASL support for mail proxy in NGINX

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Mon Sep 8 19:49:33 UTC 2014

Hello!

On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 10:18:47AM -0700, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> --On Friday, August 22, 2014 5:50 PM -0500 Kunal Pariani
> <kpariani at zimbra.com> wrote:
>

> >Hello,
> >Wanted to know if there's a plan to add SASL support to Nginx anytime
> >soon ?
> >
> >Zimbra has patches that add SASL support for POP3 & IMAP. Would you be
> >interested in that as a contribution from us ?
> >
> >We plan on adding SASL support to SMTP as well unless you guys have plan
> >to do that already ?
>
> Any nginx developers have any thoughts on this?

When talking to mail backends, nginx doesn't use SASL for
authentication as it's believed to be superfluous to use it
instead of native protocol commands in the non-hostile backend
environment.

There is SASL support in nginx mail module though, and it happily
authenticates users with PLAIN, LOGIN and CRAM-MD5 SASL mechanisms
(as long as http_auth script used is able to handle this).