Session Ticket Rotation

Richard Fussenegger, BSc richard at fussenegger.info
Mon Sep 22 13:49:26 UTC 2014

On 9/22/2014 2:38 PM, Maxim Dounin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 01:39:43PM +0200, Richard Fussenegger, BSc wrote:
>
>> I'd like to implement built-in session ticket rotation. I know that it this
>> was discussed before but it was never implemented. Right now a custom
>> external ticket key system is supported. Admins with single installations
>> and not enough knowledge about the topic are left with keys that are valid
>> for the complete lifetime nginx is running.
> That's not really true: ticket keys are regenerated on each
> configuration reload.
Exactly but nginx isn't able to decrypt older ticket keys and admins
might not be aware of this and will never implement the required cron job.

>> I thought about a rotation scheme that introduces a single new configuration
>> variable (e.g. ssl_session_ticket_key_rotation or
>> ssl_session_ticket_key_interval) that defines the interval in which the
>> ticket key should be rotated. I think a default setting of 24 hours would be
>> enough for most installations. One key is always used for decryption and
>> encryption and the most recently expired key is only used for decryption.
>> This means that we have a de- and encrypt key for 24 hours and a decrypt key
>> for 48 hours with the default setting. The best place for this would be in
>> ngx_event_openssl.c#2640 after the if (paths == NULL) by checking if the
>> aforementioned variable is set (default) and if the currently used key has
>> expired. If it hasn't return NGX_OK (as it is now) otherwise copy current
>> key to old key and generate new key.
> Checking expiration in the ngx_ssl_session_ticket_keys() function
> doesn't make sense: creating new SSL context means new random
> keys.  So if the ngx_ssl_session_ticket_keys() is called, which
> only happens while reading a configuration, we currently have
> a new key anyway.
Thanks for the insight on this, I'll investigate the source further
unless you have an idea (or pointer for me) where it should go.

>> Unsolved questions:
>>
>> Implementation: Currently OpenSSL is generating and keeping track of the key
>> (this would still be the case if the newly introduced setting is set to
>> "0"). We'd have to introduce two variables - one for the current and one for
>> the old key plus timestamps - and let OpenSSL know about the key before
>> attempting to decrypt sent session data.
> The main problem here is how to share keys between worker
> processes, to ensure different workers will be able to decrypt
> tickets.  So automatic rotation of ticket keys will likely require
> shared SSL session cache to be configured as well, and using a SSL
> session cache to store ticket keys.
Having the session cache as a requirement for ticket rotation isn't a
problem for HTTP context. Not all major browsers support tickets and a
configuration that relies only on tickets doesn't make sense. Of course
it's a problem for the default configuration which is using tickets only.

>> Per server keys: CVE-2014-3616 from Antoine Delignat-Lavaud was dealing with
>> this. I have to review his patches but I guess that the variables have to be
>> arrays and we'd have to keep different current and old keys per server. But
>> what if one wants to share the sessions among servers? I guess this has to
>> depend on the location the configuration was set. As I said, I have to
>> review his patches to gather more knowledge for this problem.
> As of now, session tickets can't be decrypted in other server{}
> blocks (unless ssl_session_ticket_key is explicitly used to set
> keys).  I don't see any reasons to change this behaviour.
Me neither and it's great if it's already working this way.

>> Restarts: Apache is storing the key to file, that would allow the process to
>> read the last used keys. But of course this isn't very secure and we may
>> need an additional setting to define the path where these intermediate keys
>> should be stored. Of course we could also simply ignore restarts, as it is
>> now. But we'd loose the ability to decrypt old sessions tickets.
> Current behaviour is believed to be good enough.
I think so too, losing the ability to decrypt old tickets isn't a big
deal but storing keys to files would be in my book.

Richard