True Dynamic Module Binary Plug-In Model ETA

Maxim Konovalov maxim at nginx.com
Tue Aug 23 07:50:59 UTC 2016

Hello,

On 8/22/16 9:40 PM, Cloud Gate wrote:
> Hello nginx developers,
>

> I hope this is the appropriate forum for this question. In an
> nginx.com presentation from Sep 2015, Ruslan Ermilov indicated that
> work is being done on support for "true dynamic modules" i.e. a
> mechanism that would not require compilation against nginx source
> code, but rather allow API-based binary DLL/SO module plug-in
> support. Can you please provide an estimate on when this feature
> will be publicly available? Is there any way our company could
> facilitate this support (via commercial contract, implement our own
> "quick-n-dirty" version of this idea, etc)? It would be terrific if
> this feature was available in the near future, if possible!

DSO support (aka phase 1 of the project) was added to nginx core
early this year in nginx-1.9.11.  Please visit the following links
for more information:

http://mailman.nginx.org/pipermail/nginx-announce/2016/000170.html
http://nginx.org/r/load_module
https://www.nginx.com/resources/wiki/extending/

Somewhere at this time we also started to ship a number of packages
with nginx dynamic modules:

http://nginx.org/en/linux_packages.html

At this stage you still need nginx sources to compile dynamic
modules though.

While API-based DSO model is desired and it is in the long term roadmap
it is far beyond the horizon of current planning to talk seriously
about possible ETA.

We also have a talk about nginx dynamic modules model, its current
state and our nearest plans at the upcoming nginx.conf 2016 in Austin:

https://www.nginx.com/nginxconf/schedule/

> As commercial developers, our plug-in must target different nginx
> versions, different compiler options, we might have conflicting
> third-party libraries, etc. Most importantly, we may not be able to
> ship source code, so we must be the ones to compile the module and
> thus nginx. Even internally, there are many logistical problems with
> having our module team compile nginx (e.g. so we can run module unit
> and integration tests, etc), when in fact a different department
> entirely might "own" the official nginx server compilation, etc. For
> these and other reasons, a true, binary / API-based, standalone
> DLL/SO plug-in model would be a terrific benefit and save us many
> problems and complexities with trying to develop a commercial nginx
> plug-in.
>
> Any time frame or relevant information or additional thoughts you
> can provide on this topic would be greatly appreciated,

I will ask our PM team to consider your request.

Thanks,

Maxim

--
Maxim Konovalov