XSLT & hello

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Apr 8 14:58:44 MSD 2008

Hello!

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 06:32:57AM -0400, Denis S. Filimonov wrote:

>I second that. XSLT really belongs to the application level. For instance, you
>might want to allow users to select different stylesheets for the same page
>(e.g., different skins). If you offload the XSLT outside your application,
>you lose this ability.

Not really, since you can control what happens via external means
(X-Accel-XSLT?) or even internal XSLT means (see thread for
xslt_root proposal - but personally I think it would complicate
[efficient] implementation too much).

>Besides, I don't think nginx would be able to do it considerably faster, it'd
>probably use the very same libxslt.

The main thing nginx can do to speed up things is XSLT parsing /
caching.  This may be sometimes tricky at backend level.

But this is definetely not the argument for XSLT itself.  If you
need speed - you don't use XML.  :)

My main motivation for nginx xslt module is to do things
simple, manageble and interoperable.

Maxim Dounin