Cookie problem with proxy cache

Emanuele Pucciarelli lists at ruby-forum.com
Tue Nov 17 20:51:46 MSK 2009

Ole Laursen wrote:

> I've fixed the problem by adding a proxy_pass_header Set-Cookie. But I
> guess the
> root of the problem is that nginx thinks it can cache the page in spite
> of the
> "Vary: cookie" header. Isn't this a bug?

I'm wondering too how to use proxy_cache correctly. I've added
"proxy_set_header Cookie $http_cookie;" and I have also made sure that
$http_cookie is part of the proxy_cache_key, or nginx would return
cached pages (meant for a specific user who had previously logged in)
for any request.

I guess that I'd like NOT to cache any responses whose request included
a Cookie: header, but proxy_cache cannot work in a conditional section,
and I guess that there's a good reason for that.

I'd truly appreciate guidance on this subject.

Thanks!