when front proxy meet reverse proxy

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Tue Mar 27 20:17:38 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 07:43:22PM +0800, maven apache wrote:

Hi there,

I don't understand your intended data flow.

Can you describe it more explicitly?

In general terms, "something" makes a http request to nginx; that
"something" is "the client". nginx is configured to proxy_pass a request
related to the original one to a back-end server; that back-end server is
"upstream".

client talks to nginx, and gets a response from nginx. The client doesn't
know or care about upstream.

nginx talks to upstream and gets a response from upstream. nginx doesn't
know or care how upstream generates the response.

If a web browser is configured to use a proxy server, then as far as nginx
is concerned, that proxy server is "the client", not the web browser.

>From your description, it sounds like "some javascript running in the
browser" is "the client".

It's not clear (to me) what is "nginx" and what is "upstream".

If you can explain more, it might help others to answer your question.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org